Scarlett Johansson as Meg Windermere
Directed by Mike Barker
Written by Oscar Wilde (play), Howard Himelstein (screenplay)
Release Date May 13, 2005 (UK)
Genre Drama / Comedy / Romance
MPAA Rating PG
A young couple’s marriage is put in jeopardy by high-society gossip of an affair blossoming. Robert Windermere (Mark Umbers) is accused with providing a secret allowance for Mr Erlynne (Helen Hunt) a vampish older woman of ill repute, whilst his wife, Meg Windermere (Scarlett Johansson), courts the attention of Lord Darlington (Stephen Campbell Moore), a notorious playboy. In the meantime, Tuppy (Tom Wilkinson) is haplessly pursuing the lady of his dreams Mrs Erlynne.
When the truth begins to emerge, it becomes apparent a dark family secret lies beneath the surface.
Scarlett Johansson’s Role
Scarlett Johansson plays the sweet ingénue Meg Windermere. The character is a real lady, restrained and polite, and very much in love with her husband. It must be mentioned that the costumes of the film are absolutely beautiful and Scarlett looks absolutely stunning in each frame.
… Helen Hunt
… Tom Wilkinson
… Stephen Campbell Moore
… Mark Umbers
Trivia & Facts
• A Good Woman is a theatrical version of Oscar Wilde’s 1892 four-act comedy, “Lady Windemere’s Fan”.
• Joseph Fiennes was originally offered the role of Lord Darlington, but turned it down to play Bassanio in Michael Radford’s adaptation of The Merchant of Venice (2004).
Quotes: Scarlett Johansson
• “I play Lady Windermere and have a young husband. We have a nice sort of affectionate scene with one another. We’re adapting an Oscar Wilde and there aren’t many ‘Let’s get it on’ moments in Wilde. We’re very cuddly. My co-star’s name is Mark Umbers. He’s British and very beautiful. He looks like John F. Kennedy Jr.”
(on her relationship in the film)
• “Helen is really sweet, actually – very professional on the set, which is good because everybody else is goofy and ridiculous. I love Tom so much and told the producers I wouldn’t do the movie without him. We’re shooting in Rome and Ravello, and Helen was there with her boyfriend and we all hung out downstairs eating French fries at the hotel bar because we were all so dying for food that wasn’t Italian. It’s delicious food, but day after day you get so bloated. We have insane night schedules. At first when you’re doing night shoots, it’s like, ‘Wow, this is fun being up all hours. It’s like a sleepover.’ Cut to two days later and people are just mean.”
• Tom Wilkinson on Scarlett:
“She’s shrewd enough to make the right choices. When you’re so successful that young, the tendency is to go a bit crazy and to grab at fame for the wrong reasons. But she has a very sound instinct. She’s very bright.”
Quotes: Her Character
• “No, of course not. I wouldn’t.”
• Official Site
The official movie site.
• Internet Movie Database
Additional cast and credits. Plot summary and more.
• News Archive
Read the latest of related news.