Scarlett Johansson as Amanda
Directed by Lisa Krueger
Written by Lisa Krueger
Release Year 1996
MPAA Rating R
Two sisters, Amanda, 11, and Laurel, 16, run away from their different adopted parents, sleeping in model homes, or wherever they can. But when Laurel becomes pregnant, they find they can’t make it through this crisis on their own. With nowhere else to turn, they decide to kidnap Elaine, a clerk in a baby supply store. But Elaine seems to need Manny and Lo just as much as they need her.
Scarlett Johansson’s Role
… Mary Kay Place
… Aleska Palladino
… Dean Silvers
… Marlen Hecht
Trivia & Facts
• In Manny & Lo Scarlett’s family (Parents, Vanessa, Hunter) makes a short appearance as the golf family. Scarlett’s character Manny and her film sister Lo are watching them when they’re talking about maybe going to choose a family for Lo’s baby.
• Manny & Lo was the first film Scarlett had a starring role – it is the first film that really showcased what potential Scarlett had.
• She was nominated for a Independent Spirit Award as Best Actress for this role.
Quotes: Scarlett Johansson
• Scarlett on the production “Then I did Manny & Lo, and I think when I did that I was able to act naturally, the way that a 10-year-old should act. I don’t know why it happened, but it was just a different kind of acting for me. It wasn’t like fake acting. I could just do it.”
• Scarlett on Manny “Manny was definitely a character as such, a real person.”
• Scarlett on Mary Kay Place “I’ve been fortunate to work with a lot of great people. Mary Kay Place was awesome; just to be able to watch her, she’s such a brilliant actress and she absorbs her character so well. When we did scenes together there was no tension, it just came naturally from our gut.”
Quotes: Her Character
• Official Site
The official movie site.
• Internet Movie Database
Additional cast and credits. Plot summary and more.
• News Archive
Read the latest of related news.