Scarlett Johansson as Jordan Two Delta/Sarah Jordan
Directed by Michael Bay
Written by Caspian Tredwell-Owen, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci (screenplay)
Release Date July 22, 2005
MPAA Rating PG-13
Lincoln Six-Echo (Ewan McGregor) is a resident of a seemingly utopian but contained facility in the mid-21st century. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully controlled environment, Lincoln hopes to be chosen to go to the “The Island” — reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet — until he makes a terrible discovery that everything about his existence is a lie… and that he is actually more valuable dead than alive. Together with a beautiful fellow resident named Jordan Two-Delta (Scarlett Johansson), Lincoln makes a daring escape to the outside world he’s never known. Now, with the forces of the institute that once housed them relentlessly hunting them down, Lincoln and Jordan engage in a desperate race for their lives.
Scarlett Johansson’s Role
Scarlett Johansson is adorable as Jordan Two Delta, the very sweet and understandably naive clone of Sarah Jordan, a famous young actress.
… Ewan McGregor
… Sean Bean
… Steve Buscemi
Trivia & Facts
• Scarlett’s Eternity Moment commercial is shown in the movie, starring Sarah Jordan.
• Scarlett celebrated her 20th birthday during the filming of The Island.
• Scarlett’s character Jordan Two-Delta was originally named Ester and was meant to be pregnant in earlier drafts by Caspian Tredwell-Owen.
Quotes: Scarlett Johansson
• “I was so sore after my first day of work. I think my muscles were atrophied or something, but I couldn’t run any longer, and that was the first day of a five-month shoot! I was running so much I thought I was going to die.”
(on the shoot)
• “My character is completely unaware of her past. Ewan is a little younger and much more advanced than I am in cloning years… He has these memories of his past somehow – real memories of his real past. I don’t have those so I didn’t have to think about to what it would be like to walk down a runway.”
(on her character)
• “Michael is so incredibly energetic, he never ever leaves the set. I was convinced he never used the bathroom, because he was never gone. You have to love these characters to want to go on an adventure with them. To want them to survive. At the same time, you’re also buying your ticket to see the Michael Bay explosive action. It’s a totally different experience.”
(on director Michael Bay)
• “I was in the middle of doing Match Point and we were going to be finishing and it was five weeks until they started production on The Island. It was a great script, it was exciting, it was fun. I love genre movies when they are done really well. I think they accomplish what a film is trying to do – allow you to escape your life for a couple of hours and I was bowled over on my own when I read the script. I wanted to work with Michael, I wanted to work with Ewan.”
• “Ewan came totally prepared. He looked fantastic. He was puffing up for his white suit.”
(on co-star Ewan McGregor)
• “The Island more than broke even overseas. Warner Brothers distributed it overseas and Dreamworks had the production here. I think there was a little bit of problems maybe with the marketing of the film. I think it was a little confusing, because everybody that’s seen it, they loved the film. It got really great response with audiences and it was pretty well reviewed actually. So I think it was a little bit confusing for people. They didn’t really know it was out. Nobody knew when the release date was or what it was about because it was such a secretive kind of plot but the actual end result is a good film. Certainly a film that I’m really proud of and proud of Michael Bay for making.”
(on the box office disappointment)
• Director Michael Bay on Scarlett
“I was really, really impressed working with Scarlett, because she is 20. She had her 20th birthday during the filming and she’s got sophistication about her. There are some charming moments. It’s part of her process, every actor has a different process. Scarlett process is, ‘No, I can’t say that. I can’t. I can’t.’ And I am like, ‘Trust me, try it.’ So she does it and I say, ‘Let’s do another one.’ And she goes, ‘Oh, no. I like that one!'”
• Director Michael Bay on Scarlett
• “She’s very feisty I must say.”
• Director Michael Bay on the sex scene
“The famous story is the director gets called to the actress’s trailer before she is called to do the love scene. How many times have I had to say, ‘Come on, come out. You look beautiful,’ etc. And I get the call from the assistant director. ‘She needs to see you.’ And I’m like, ‘Oh, god. Here we go.’ I’m ready to do Ewan and her in her love scene and she’s not going to come out. I knock on the trailer of her door. Scarlett?’ ‘Yes?’ ‘Can I come in?’ The door opens. ‘I’m not [expletive] wearing this bra! This cheap-ass bra! OK? I’m going naked.’ ‘Scarlett, you can’t go naked. The movie has to be PG-13.’
“Well nobody wears a bra when they’re in bed,” Scarlett says. “Who wakes up wearing a bra? It doesn’t happen!”
Quotes: Her Character
• “I grew up on a farm! I had a little dog a – and I had a bike…”
• “I’m going to The Island”
• “We’re not idiots.”
• “Lincoln, I can tell when you’re lying. Your mouth smiles but your eyes don’t.”
• “I’ve finally found The Island, Tom. It’s you.”
• Official Site
The official movie site.
• Internet Movie Database
Additional cast and credits. Plot summary and more.
• News Archive
Read the latest of related news.