Scarlett Johansson as Silken Floss
Directed by Frank Miller
Written by Will Eisner (comic), Frank Miller (screenplay)
Release Date December 25, 2008
Genre Action / Drama
MPAA Rating PG-13
The Spirit is Frank Miller’s adaptation of the classic film noir comic strip series created by Will Eisner that focuses on Denny Colt (Gabriel Macht). Colt was a police detective who faked his own death and later became Central City’s masked hero. The Spirit will face off against The Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson), a sinister figure who kills anyone who sees his face. The Octopus’ goals are simple – he wants to wipe Central City off the face of the planet.While attempting to thwart The Octopus, the Spirit is forced to contend with numerous femme fatales, each with their own agenda; either to kill, seduce or fall in love with the Spirit. In the vein of Batman Begins and Sin City, The Spirit takes us on a sinister, gut-wrenching ride of a hero who is born, murdered and born again.
Scarlett Johansson’s Role
Scarlett plays a dangerous beauty named Silken Floss. She is described as “a punk secretary and frigid vixen”. Eisner’s strip was known for its women with dangerous curves, and Miller is intent on keeping that tradition. Floss is a sexy and intelligent secretary with a vindictive instinct, making her the perfect accomplice to The Octopus, an evil mastermind.
… Gabriel Macht
… Samuel L. Jackson
… Eva Mendes
… Paz Vega
Trivia & Facts
• Shooting began in October 2007 in Albuquerque Studios, New Mexico.
• Gabriel Macht co-starred with Scarlett in A Love Song for Bobby Long.
• Eva Mendes co-starred with Scarlett in My Brother the Pig.
• A few seconds after Octopus mentions “Star Trek,” Silken Floss says the words “cling on,” similar to the race “Klingon” in the Star Trek universe.
Quotes: Scarlett Johansson
• Director Frank Miller, on Scarlett: “Originally, there wasn’t a role slated for her. You’re first struck by her beauty, but when you delve deeper and find out how much wit is there, you’d have to be an idiot not to write a part for her.”
• “I don’t think I’m necessarily the bad guy, I’m just very determined, that’s all. I sit next to Samuel L. Jackson’s character and all of a sudden I become evil.”
• Eva Mendes, on working with Scarlett: “My favourite sequence is my scene with Scarlett because I love her and we worked together like 10 years ago and it was very nice, she’s like a beautiful little sister that is smarter than me and wiser than I am. So that was beautiful to me.”
Quotes: Her Character
• “On your knees, then!”
• “What a fine detective. You followed the breadcrumbs right to us.”
• “We knew there had to be a better way of keeping someone alive other than cutting them up like some free-range chicken.”
• Official Site
The official movie site.
• Internet Movie Database
Additional cast and credits. Plot summary and more.
• News Archive
Read the latest of related news.