Scarlett Johansson announced a multi-year partnership with Reebok on 25th July 2006. She partnered with the brand to co-create ‘Scarlett ? Reebok’, a fashion-forward, athletic-inspired footwear and apparel signature collection, which debuted March 1, 2007 at high-end department stores and boutiques around the world. The line is grounded in sport and it features head-to-toe looks designed to take today’s multi-dimensional woman from the studio to the street in style. It is loosely based on the Olivia Newton-John ‘Let’s Get Physical’ genre of glamour aerobics; she calls the clothes “casual urban streetwear that’s fitted to my body. So I know they’ll fit a regular person.”
Johansson is involved in every aspect of the line, from designing to the ad campaign. “I can draw, but I certainly can’t do sketches that approximate the designs,” she explained. What Johansson can do is rummage through Reebok’s archives — she favors collections from the 1970s — and collaborate with Reebok’s design team to put her ideas to work. “The great thing about working with Reebok is their resources are huge,” she said. “If I find a retro fabric, they can help rework it into something technically right for today.” “I am really wary of that whole persona-in-the-public-eye selling a product. I absolutely would never put out a piece of clothing that I wouldn’t wear. It was important to me that I had complete control over the whole project, and Reebok was really open to that”, Scarlett commented.
The advertising campaign breaks in spring 2007. It will include TV, print, online and OOH executions. Scarlett’s initial contract is for three years, but is renewable.
• “Reebok has a rich heritage in developing and designing cutting-edge women’s product which makes them an ideal company to partner with to launch ‘Scarlett ? Reebok’. I am very enthusiastic about working with Reebok to design this line.”
• “I like to do yoga and stretch out, so we will probably do a bunch of stuff for that. Things you can wear to the yoga studio and then to coffee with your friends. I like the idea of exercise and aerobics being glamorous: Olivia Newton John and women exercising in false eyelashes.”
• “There is so much pressure to look a certain way and to be thin, and I think part of that comes from fitting into clothing or not fitting into clothing. I am basically designing clothing for my friends, and a lot of my friends are also regular girls with lovely curves and feminine figures.”
• Paul Harrington (Reebok’s President and CEO): “Reebok is thrilled to partner with Scarlett because she is a world renowned style icon and truly an inspiration for today’s young women. Scarlett embodies the pulse points of our brand – individuality, authenticity and a life lived to the fullest in perpetual motion. These characteristics make her the perfect fit for our new women’s footwear and apparel collection and also for our exciting new women’s campaign.”
• Paul Harrington (Reebok’s President and CEO): “Johansson is relevant with our consumer — a multidimensional woman with a busy life, an independent spirit and an authentic persona.”