• I like clothing. I can shop like none other. You’d be surprised!
On her favorite labels
• There are some labels that I’m just… ‘I want, I want.’ I want a Chanel suit so badly. Gucci makes me drool, too.
• I’m a total Prada junkie. I’m confident enough to wear whatever I want without making an excuse for it.
• I love Chloe – the designs fit me really well. The clothes are so pretty and beautifully made. I love the new big cashmere sweaters – they’re great for New York as it gets so cold. I love Balenciaga, too, the lines are incredibly flattering, they really emphasise the waist.
• I like Chanel, Marc Jacobs and Alexander McQueen. And I love the simplicity and wearability of Calvin Klein.
On her personal style
• I’m born and raised New York and I think my style comes from there. It’s about individuality. I have never felt the need to fit in to a fashion ideal.
• I try to be comfortable and sopphisticated. I’m from New York City and I think when you’re born in New York you have that in-built sense of style, being both functional and fabulous.”
• People from New York are very fashionable, very cutting edge. I think I have a New York sense of style.
• Because I’m 19, I’m a pretty clean slate style-wise. I feel free to create the look I want and I don’t have to conform to what people think I should be wearing.
• Just because I make films that have a low budget doesn’t mean I should dress low-budget. If you go to a glamorous event, you should look glamorous.
• I used to go binning around vintage stores when I was 10, but as I got older, I was able to shop like I really wanted to shop. All you have to do is go to Barneys in New York or Harvey Nichols in London, where you can check out all the collections. I’ve become friends with a lot of designers who’ve made dresses for me, and I’m part of the creative process. I could never have somebody tell me, ‘This is what you’re wearing’ or ‘This is what’s really hot this season.’
• I’m quite short – about 5ft 4in – so I don’t look good in really flarey jeans. Skinny is the only style of jeans I feel comfortable in. I’ve been wearing them for ages and getting all my trousers tailored like that, so it’s nice that style is becoming more popular.
• The only shoes I really wear regularly are Chucky T’s – my Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers. I have to wear heels a lot when I’m working, so when I’m not I tend to wear flats.
• I’m pretty casual. I wear sneakers and flats. I can walk in heels too, but do I wear them everyday? Certainly not. Only if I’m going to a premiere or party, because I like to look like a lady.
• A really cool Alessandro Dell’ Acqua black tuxedo suit that I wore to an awards ceremony. It had beautiful pencil-slim trousers and had a great jacket. It was perfectly cut for a womanly figure. on her most prized item
• I’d never leave home without my black cashmere wrap. It’s like a security blanket – I sleep in it, but I can also wear it with an evening gown. on her favorite item
• I think that I sort of see other actresses are kind of proud of the way they look and show it off. That’s never really been my style. I really don’t think that it’s disgusting or wrong, if you’re 18 you’re 18, it’s your body, it’s your right to show yourself, however, I don’t really take a part in that. I like to look nice, but I think that there’s ways of doing it that are more tasteful than just wearing a bikini wherever you go.
• I always check in the mirror to make sure nothing is see-through.
On her approach to a good figure
• If I ever think, ‘Oh, God, I feel enormous’, there’s always a healthy way of doing something about it. There’s no point sitting around, being depressed.
• Everyone’s so damned skinny! It’s shocking meeting other celebrities who are scarily thin. I’m slim but curvy and I like the way I am. I’m never going to be rail thin.
• I’m lucky. I have a 19-year-old’s metabolism so I don’t have any real excercise regime. I made a tennis film recently (In Good Company), which was great for cardio exercise. I looked good then, but not so much now.
On her sex appeal
• If you’re comfortable with yourself, then it’s sexy. Maybe people think I look sexy because I feel sexy. I am a very liberated person that way. I’m very comfortable with my sexuality, my body, my face – well, sometimes I’m not comfortable with my face, but it’s stuck there and there’s nothing I can do about it!
• I’m proud of my girls. They’re my charms, my feminine wiles. But sometimes you want to show off other parts of your body, like your back or your butt. You don’t want to reveal it all at once.
On her fashion petpeeves
• Anything very popular. Like those horrible furry Eskimo-type boots – they’re ridiculous. They make you look like a Clydesdale horse.
On her style icons
• Kate Moss always looks amazing. She always looks great in everything. She could wear a black sack and everyone would rush out to buy one.
• Sarah Jessica Parker, Gwen Stefani and Diane Lane always look beautiful.
• Marlene Dietrich was so stylish and Marilyn Monroe was beautiful, too.
On her beauty splurges
• I love to get massages, but a bad one will make you feel worse, so I have to go to someone I know is good.
• I like to have long hot baths.